On September 6, 2022, we went to Disneyland Resort for the after-hours Halloween party at California Adventure called Oogie Boogie Bash. This party runs on select nights in California Adventure throughout September and October. Tickets for this special event went on sale in July 2022 and sold out of all the party dates within a few days. It grants you admission to California Adventure starting at 3pm, with the official party start time at 6pm, and is open until 11pm. Everyone is allowed to wear costumes to this event with certain restrictions, and PhotoPass downloads are included in the ticket price.
Oogie Boogie Bash special attractions (6pm-11pm)
- Treats Trails – trick or treat, often while getting photo ops of villains (you can take selfies, but they’re separated from the trail); there are several around the park during the event
- Villains Grove in Redwood Creek – this can gain a huge line, it has 8 different villain scenes to walk through, does not have candy, and opens once it’s dark
- Special characters to meet and greet, especially villains. Some characters are there the whole time, others rotate.
- Frightfully Fun parade – a parade full of villains. Runs twice during the event.
- Mickey’s Trick of Treat show. 15-minute dance party with Mickey and his friends, runs several times during the event.
- Wine Country Trattoria Dining Package – eat dinner and get vouchers for reserved standing room parade viewing
- Sonoma Terrace Dessert party – comes with reserved seating for the parade, $89/person
Oogie Boogie Bash 2022 Map
I have labeled each of the treat trails over the Oogie Boogie Bash 2022 map below. The photo opportunities have characters, but they rotate in and out throughout the night.
Halloween Treats at the Disneyland Resort
The full list of Halloween treats available at Disneyland, California Adventure, Disneyland Resort hotels, and Downtown Disney can be found here. It doesn’t look like there are Oogie Boogie Bash -specific treats, but the California Adventure treats will be available during Oogie Boogie Bash. Below are the treats I am definitely planning on trying at the Disneyland Resort this Halloween season:
- Vampire Alien Macaron (Alien Pizza Kitchen, Disneyland)
- Blood orange slush (non-alcoholic, Galactic Grill, Disneyland)
- Pumpkin Spice Mickey Beignets (Mint Julep Bar, Disneyland)
- Toffee Pretzel (Tomorrowland Pretzel cart, Disneyland)
- Oogie Boogie Worms and Dirt Cake (Fiddler, Fifer and Practical Cafe, California Adventure)
- Pastrami Sandwich (Pacific Wharf, California Adventure)
- Snack Molecules (Pym Tasting Lab, California Adventure)
- Pumpkin Spice Churro (Buena Vista Churro Cart, California Adventure)
There are lots of drinks that I would normally be interested in, and lots of spicy food, but pregnancy is keeping me from trying them this season. Be sure to check out the full list of offerings here!
Our Experience with 3 toddlers
We went on September 6, stayed at a hotel that night, and then went to Disneyland the following day. Our party consisted of 5 adults and 3 toddlers. Because of this, we decided to focus on the treat trails and rides, since they had low wait times. We skipped Villains Grove, but made sure to catch Mickey’s Trick or Treat show and the Frightfully Fun parade. I also wanted to get at least a few PhotoPass pictures, as they are included with the event.
- 3pm: We could enter California Adventure at this point, but it was 96 degrees, so we checked into the hotel and waited until 5 to head into the parks (between pregnant mom and toddlers, the heat wasn’t worth it)
- 5pm: Checked in for the party and got our purple party wristbands and goody bags (we also brought our own larger buckets).
- 5:30pm: we wanted to see if we could get a walk-up dining parade package at Wine Country Trattoria. They closed at 6, and only accepted walk-ups until 5:50, but there was availability for us.
- 6:45pm: finished dinner, got two photos in Cars Land (Cruz dressed as a pirate, and a PhotoPass one in front of the CarsLand sign)
- 7:15pm: got in line at the Disney Jr. Theatre for the 7:30 show of Mickey’s Trick or Treat show (there are 5 showtimes each night) (people were starting to line up for the parade, but it wasn’t crowded at all)
- 7:45pm: got out of the show (got some candy!), did the Madam Mim Treat T’rail behind the Hyperion Theatre, people were lining up to watch the parade but there was still space
- 8pm-9:30pm: Agatha Harkness Treat Trail in Dr. Strange’s Sanctum, Luigi’s Honkin’ Haul-o-ween ride, Mater’s JamBOOree ride, Treat Trail behind Radiator Springs Racers, photo op with Mr. Smee in Pacific Wharf, The Little Mermaid ride.
- 9:45pm: checked in for our reserved spots for the Frightfully Fun Parade. We received special wristbands for this seating area.
- 10:30pm: Maleficent Treat Trail next to Soarin’ Around the World, Mother Gothel Treat Trail behind Grizzly River Run
- 11pm: party ends, head to the hotel, people were still lined up for Villains Grove, and were allowed to walk through if they were in line by party’s end at 11.
We heard that it’s best to bring your own bags for candy, as you collect a ton on the Treats Trails and the provided bags don’t hold much. They were right – each treat trail had several treat carts.
If you are already in the park, there is a separate check-in area so you don’t have to exit the park then wait in a party check-in line outside to get back in. It is at the Blue Cellar
Pack for the weather – if you’re going in October, maybe pack jackets for later on in the night, and a comfortable change of clothes if their costume isn’t very comfy. It was 96 when we went, so we had shorts instead of jackets. We brought lots of snacks and refillable water bottles as well.
I made Oogie Boogie Checklists that you can download for free too! My email subscribers get free access to all of my Disneyland resources for free, including this complete Oogie Boogie Checklist and a blank Oogie Boogie checklist that you can print and fill out.
Oogie Boogie Bash 2022 Character Sighting List
I adapted my Character Sighting checklist for the Oogie Boogie Bash 2022 and my toddler had fun checking it off the next day. My email subscribers get to download it for free from my Disneyland Resource Library. I’ve attached a preview below.
Other Halloween Time Attractions at the Disneyland Resort
- Mickey and Minnie are dressed up in Halloween costumes
- Haunted Mansion operates in its Nightmare Before Christmas overlay, Halloween through Christmas season
- Halloween Screams fireworks show at Disneyland
- Guardians of the Galaxy operates in its Monsters After Dark overlay after 2pm
- Cars characters are dressed up in Halloween costumes in Cars Land
- Luigi’s and Mater’s rides dance along to Halloween music in Cars Land
- Plaza de la Familia – celebration of Dia De Las Muertos in California Adventure, including a Coco parade
- Pluto’s Pumpkin Pursuit – go on a scavenger hunt throughout Downtown Disney to find all the pumpkins decorated as characters, then get a prize once you find them all!
If you need help planning your Disneyland trip, I can help! I have created a free spreadsheet in Google Sheets to help my email subscribers maximize their magical trip to Disneyland. Once you become an email subscriber (use the handy box on the right), you will receive an email with a link to my resource library with various Disneyland resources, including my PDF of tips, downloadable Google planning sheets, Disneyland scavenger hunts, and more! For a sneak peek and more info on my planning sheets, click here. You may also be interested in my posts on taking a toddler to Disneyland, packing a diaper bag for Disneyland, or my other Disneyland posts.
1 thought on “Oogie Boogie Bash at Disneyland with Toddlers”